June 14, 2002

Potential attractions of Iceland (in descending order)
1. Whale sashimi
2. Reindeer-riding
3. Large smörgåsbord of Nordic wildlife: elk, moose, puffin, walrus
4. Glacier-abseiling
5. Seal-petting

Nasi padang lunch with S, L, E and J at Hotel Rendezvous. Prices inflated, and I am anxious that the heyday home-cooked goodness and glamour of an erstwhile era has vanished. Beef rendang too salty, sambal telur insipid, kangkong agreeably crunchy. S, E and J cannot recall having autographed the bra. Later I am shown a treasure by L at a secondhand bookshop in Bras Basah Complex. It is beautiful, but astonishingly useless: a Dutch-Japanese dictionary. Scouring the shelves, I disinter monographs on Qi Baishi (Union), Schiele (Popular) and "Modern Art" (Book Off). I would like also a copy of Harvard Design School's Project on the City 2, featuring Rem Koolhaas' giddy, logorrhoeic ramble on the death of design, Junkspace, but it really is too heavy to read safely without spraining a wrist, too expensive ($89.90 at Indian-run graphic book shop; however, perhaps I can spend a few otiose afternoons aslant on my favourite chair at Space perusing their browsing copy); and besides I have already found an online version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home