February 07, 2003

I'm sitting in front of my computer, looking out of the window at the flurry of furry white clusters and wisps sweeping across the sky (Nabokov has it best: "slow scintillant downcome"), while Ella and Louis croon "Stars Fell On Alabama". And for a moment, I picture a cosmic conflagration, an astral armageddon, celestial bodies ablaze and plummeting to earth, a flaming landscape, people being pummelled by asteroids, pyroclasts and other projectiles...

(Happiness is this, she thought)

I'm having the same stuff for lunch. The baguette has self-petrified. B thinks I may have mono (what is that, anyway?), but I can't be bothered to trudge to UHS in this divine weather.

The record stops. I put on A's Rhapsody in Blue, which makes a fitting soundtrack to snowfall. I must be imagining this, but the tempo of the snow flurries seems to fluctuate, stately and temperate during the sotto voce piano cadenzas, feral and frenetic during the full-orchestra reprises. Branches periodically collapse under the weight of deposited snow, creating a powder bloom in the air, and then this too flutters down to the ground in a shower.

Ah, I know, Debussy would make the perfect soundscape for snow. Now, what can I eat to fit in with the theme? Oeufs à la neige?

One day in JC2 assembly, after the death of two canoeists (sailors? can't remember) was announced and a minute of silence was requested, the most rapid pencil sketch of rain (Nabokov again) fell onto the bowed heads. The heavens wept. A pathetic fallacy in real life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home