August 25, 2002

This week's compendium edition. Life is revving up into a higher gear, idleness is ebbing away, where is the time for contemplation and composition?

Wed 21.8. Lunch at Hu Cui. The most magical Chinese dessert ever. Black pearls in osmanthus soup; nuances of starfruit and sugarcane.

Thurs 22.8. Back to school for the last time. And then to Alliance Francaise for the free placement test. "Ce n'est pas mal!" Really? I "have" "one year" of French, 180 hours of tuition. Is that all? After drilling myself on Edith Piaf and certain airy arias. What about my extensive menu vocabulary? Dinner with Y at mezza9, I have really run out of things to eat. The same seven desserts again.

Fri 23.8. Had my bad horror fix. There is something essentially very silly about cursed dolls, possessed puppets. And Thai cinema is absolutely fixated on voodooed effigies, petty revenge plots set in rural locales, preferably with large swamps for the hapless to fall into and drown in. But the last of the trio, the Hongkong one, was quite excellent. Dinner at Singa Inn seafood, with "ASEAN cultural performances" and lots of Eighties phenomena. Dessert at Tamade, where D "trains up" his intoxicant capacity.

Sat 24.8. I spend a good hour consoling a friend (clearly suicidal, drinking to Portishead) before I am rescued by SL, and am then displaced, stuck with two Germans and a very statuesque stewardess. He's OK now, I think. (Don't look back in anger.) That bitch! That flame-retardant witch! The bonfire bombed. Night dwindles alarmingly into inanities, 7-up, Bigfish Smallfish Who What Har. But still the most fun I've had in awhile. I wish KY best of luck with C.

Sun 25.8. Family day. Singsong session at home after lunch, my grandmother the retired chanteuse, my baby cousin the piano prodigy who failed her sight-reading. And yes, I did Chen Xiao Dong. But this I swear is the last time. No, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home